Update nginx with Ubuntu PPA

Paul N. Pace paulnpace at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 23:22:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Valentin V. Bartenev <vbart at nginx.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 July 2013 12:24:38 JackB wrote:
>> openletter Wrote:
>> > If you are using the apt-get upgrade or aptitude upgrade commands, the
>> > service will be restarted for you.
>> This might be a little off topic, but how can one upgrade nginx on ubuntu
>> with the official ppa via apt without having a restart of nginx but an
>> upgrade instead?  (/etc/init.d/nginx upgrade)
> Please note, there is no "official ppa".
> Official nginx repositories for Ubuntu (and other Linux ditros) are here:
> http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html
>   wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

Yes, there is no official PPA.

The PPA I and many others use is unofficial, but seems to be well
maintained (thanks for that, whoever you are).

Someone wanting to use the same unofficial repository may execute the following:

add-apt-repository ppa:nginx/stable
apt-get update
apt-get install nginx

If you want to use the devel version, then replace ppa:nginx/stable
with ppa:nginx/development

If you don't have add-apt-repository, then apt-get install