ulimit in the ubuntu package

pablo platt pablo.platt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 13:04:02 UTC 2013

It's not clear to me how worker_rlimit_nofile, /etc/security/limits.conf
and setting ulimit in the init.d script are related.

Is worker_rlimit_nofile the same as using ulimit in the init.d script?
Or does ulimit sets the maximum limit and worker_rlimit_nofile the limit
per worker?

Why does the init.d script from the ubuntu repo let me set using ulimit
while the package from nginx.org doesn't?
https://gist.github.com/aganov/1121022#file-nginx-L43

Does /etc/security/limits.conf has any effect on the nofile limit in nginx
when it is started using init.d script?
For upstart, I know that you have to set the limit in the upstart script
and can't use /etc/security/limits.conf