fastcgi_read_timeout with PHP backend

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Jun 5 15:26:25 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:28:26AM -0400, B.R. wrote:

> oO
>
> Is that a bug or a feature?
> Wouldn't it be nice not to lose information in the middle? PHP sends
> information and probably wants the Web server to do its job forwarding it
> to the browser. I'd like that, as a personal note.

This is how it works.  With proxy, you may avoid buffering in
nginx with proxy_buffering off.  With fastcgi you can't, as
unbuffered mode isn't implemented (well, fastcgi_keep_conn will do
something comparable, but not exactly).

As long as this only happens if connection is broken anyway - this
isn't considered to be a problem as information is lost anyway.

> Thanks for that insight Maxim, that was one of the piece of information I
> was seeking for. ;o)

This what I wrote in my very first message in this thread:

: There is buffering on nginx side, too, which may prevent last part
: of the response from appearing in the output as seen by a browser.
: It doesn't explain why read timeout isn't reset though.

http://nginx.org/en/donation.html