gunzip module and buffer managment

kpstein nginx-forum at
Thu Jun 6 21:57:54 UTC 2013

I'm trying to use the http_gunzip  module as an example for a filter I am
trying to write.  I'm particularly interested in the buffer management.

The module has a value in its ctx stuct called last_buf

ngx_chain_t  **last_out;

last_out is set in various places throughout the code.  Sometimes to other
chains in the ctx, sometimes to newly allocated chains.

But as far as I can tell, none of the code ever uses the value stored in
last_out.  (It seems to be a write-only variable :-)

Anybody know what I'm missing?