Nginx SPDY: Missing NPN Extension in SSL/TLS Handshake ?

George nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sun Jun 9 05:10:05 UTC 2013

Hi guys, I've tried setting up CentOS 6.4, Nginx 1.4.1 with Google SPDY
support and used spdycheck.org to check the site and all SPDY checks pass
except this notice:

Missing NPN Extension in SSL/TLS Handshake

Sorry, but this server is not including an NPN Entension during the SSL/TLS
handshake. The NPN Extension is an additional part of the SSL/TLS
ServerHello message which allows web servers to tell browsers they support
additional protocols, like SPDY. SSL/TLS servers that don't use send the NPN
Extension cannot use SPDY because they have no way to tell the browser to
use SPDY instead of HTTP.

What exactly am I missing from Nginx 1.4.1, openssl 1.0.1e and SPDY setup to
properly satisfy NPN Extension in SSL/TLS handshake ?

Chrome reports SPDY support fine though.

cheers

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,239971,239971#msg-239971