nginx proxy vs apache proxy

Jonathan Matthews contact at
Wed Jun 19 13:28:47 UTC 2013

On 19 June 2013 14:19, solitaryr <nginx-forum at> wrote:
> Thanks, Lucas.  We looked at the headers being passed back (that's what the
> jsp was for).  Even with http completely disabled and https only available,
> they were still passed as http:80 by nGinx...but Apache passed them through.

I don't understand what you mean by "passed as http:80", but I think
your problem will be fixable if you can provide more detailed

Please post ascii dumps (tcpdump -nnn -A -s0 -i <proxy-to-app-NIC>
port 8080) of a request/response under nginx and then under apache,
showing all HTTP headers in both directions. In that tcpdump example,
I'm assuming your backend is listening for HTTP traffic on port 8080 -
you may need to change that.

Of course, redact anything you like, but please indicate where you've
redacted something rather than just removing it.

Jonathan Matthews
Oxford, London, UK