Fwd: question about running on multiprocessor

고범규 bk7749 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 12:33:24 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 고범규 <bk7749 at gmail.com>
Date: 2013/6/21
Subject: question about running on multiprocessor
To: nginx at nginx.org

Hi, I'm a beginner on this field.

I want just to do some simulation about multiprocessor programming.

What I'm trying to do is to test performance of nginx by using Apache
So, I added "server.max-worker = 8" to default "nginx.conf"
and ran Apache Bench through a command, "ab -n 100000 -c 1000

However, server computer's max CPU utilization showed 30% as if it had just
2 cores.
Without "max-worker=8", max CPU utilization is 15%, so it is sure that
there was some change.

How can I increase the CPU utilization to 100%, which is 8 core??

Followings are running environment,

O/S: Ubuntu 12.04 (in VIrtualbox4.2)
CPU: Intel, i7-3610QM (which has physical 4 cores, but virtually 8 cores
considering hyperthreading)
RAM: 4096MB
nginx: 1.4.1
Apache: 2.2

notes-I checked that CPU utilization can be 100% with another application.

If anyone has idea on this or needs more information about my setting,
please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
With regards,
Jason Koh (고범규)