WildCard domains : how to treat IP Address and Specific Domains differently from Failover/Wildcard Domains ?

Igor Sysoev igor at sysoev.ru
Sat Mar 2 06:34:04 UTC 2013

On Mar 2, 2013, at 0:20 , Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> forgive me if this has been asked before -- I couldn't find this exact question in my mailing list archives back to 2007
>
> I am trying to deal with wildcard domains in a setup.
>
> The intended result is to do this :
>
> 	Requests for example.com
> 		Serve Site A
>
> 	All IP Address Requests :
> 		Serve Site A
>
> 	All other domains ( wildcard / failover )
> 		Serve Site B
>
> I've tried several combinations of listen + server name, but I can't get this right.  I end up sending everything to site A or site B.

server {
    listen       80;
    listen       IP:80;
    server_name  example.com;
    # site A
}

server {
    listen  80   default_server;
    # site B
}

"listen 80/server_name  example.com" route all requests to example.com to site A.
"listen IP:80" routes all requests to IP:80 to site A.
Anything else is routed to default server of 80 port, i.e. to site B.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://nginx.com/support.html