nginx mailing-list and sender filtering (vs BATV)

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Mon Mar 4 14:08:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 05:33:42PM +0400, Sergey Budnevitch wrote:

> On 3  Mar2013, at 08:28 , Phil Pennock <nginx+phil at> wrote:
> >
> > But yes, I understand the issue and do use RCPT-time checks myself,
> > after normalisation of the sender address, to work around the fact that
> > I'm doing something a little dodgy that might break legitimate mail.
> Although I have added sender address normalization, and new config
> allows to check batv mangled addresses against address database,
> it actually breaks what is batv used for, because bounce if any will be
> sent to normalized address. It looks like catch-22 situation.

Addresses should be normalized only for lookup in the database,
and only _in_addition_ to the normal lookup (to make sure we don't
reject correctly subscribed address which looks like BATV one and
normalizes to something wrong).

Maxim Dounin