Any suggestions for setting up Global/Wildcard Errors ?

Jonathan Vanasco nginx at 2xlp.com
Tue Mar 5 00:56:38 UTC 2013

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before ( I've looked on this archive + Stack Overflow )

There doesn't seem to be a way to catch all errors in nginx.  They need to all be specified.

I'm using nginx with proxy_intercept_errors, so there can be many different codes.

I've built out all the codes, but I just wanted to bring this up to the community, in case anyone has a better suggestion ( or wants to build in functionality )

I was hoping to use try_files to display custom error pages , then failover to a 'standard' html page if the custom doesn't work.

this idea is possible , but requires every code to be set :

	error_page 401  /error/401.html;
	error_page 402  /error/402.html;
	error_page 403  /error/403.html;
	error_page 404  /error/404.html;
	location /error {
		internal;
		root  /var/www/MySite.com/static ;
		try_files $uri /error/standard.html;
	}

another issue, is that conditional types of 404s are often useful.  a javascript or a css request might be best be handled by serving the error as a blank file , or something with some sort of semantic notion within.

	location /js {
	error_page 404  /error/404.js;
	}
	location /css {
	error_page 404  /error/404.css;
	}

i'm not sure how others handle situations like this , but am interested