Nginx proxy_intercept_errors

Kiril Kalchev kirilk at
Wed Mar 6 13:44:37 UTC 2013

I have noticed that when I set 'proxy_intercept_errors on;'  in my nginx config it kills tcp connection to the origin server if it returns 4xx or 5xx?
This is my example config to reproduce the situation(  I am in a situation where my backend server returns only 403 and 404 (it is some kind of home made authentication system 403 means go away 404 means continue) and I need to display different things in this cases, but without keep alive connections to the backend are exhausted pretty fast.