Selectively implement something like proxy_ignore_headers Set-Cookie?

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Fri Mar 8 18:44:58 UTC 2013

On 8 March 2013 17:00, Peter Booth <Peter_Booth at s5a.com> wrote:
> Some of the locations use the combination of
>
> proxy_ignore_headers Set-Cookie and proxy_hide_header Set-Cookie to strip
> cookies from cached responses.
>
> Another location needs to allow for session cookies to be created and so it
> has the default nginx behavior of not caching

> Now I need a different hybrid behavior-
>
> if a response contains “Set-Cookie: TLTHID”, then strip it from the
> response, but still cache the response.
>
> If the response contains any other Set-Cookie header then don’t cache the
> response.
>
> Is there a way to achieve this within a single nginx instance?

I don't use nginx as a cache, so I can't speak as for how this will
work with the caching subsystem, but I wonder if something like this
might work:

-----------------------------
map $sent_http_set_cookie $header_to_drop {
  default NA;
  ~TLTHID Set-Cookie;
}

server {
 proxy_pass http://upstream.fqdn;
 proxy_ignore_headers $header_to_drop;
 proxy_hide_header $header_to_drop;
}

The map might need $upstream_http_set_cookie instead - I don't recall
the difference off the top of my head.

HTH,
Jonathan
--