nginx: [emerg] invalid host in upstream

Reddirt nginx-forum at
Thu Mar 14 18:19:44 UTC 2013

It looks like Bitnami expects the Rails app to be in url/appname.  So, I
just removed the /ndeavor from the thin.yml and from nginx.conf.

This is what my thin.yml looks like now:

And this is my nginx.conf:

I'm using Bitnami Rails stack that runs Ubuntu.

I now start the Thin with this:  thin -C thin.yml start

And I start Nginx with this: bitnami at linux:/opt/bitnami$ sudo ./
start nginx

And they both start OK.

But, when I go to my website url, I get this message "The service is not
available. Please try again later."

I don't know where that message is coming from.