The service is not available. Please try again later.

Reddirt nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Mar 14 20:19:02 UTC 2013

I'm trying to get a Bitnami Rails running with Nginx and Thin.

I've got Thin servers running on:

bitnami at linux:/opt/bitnami$  thin -C
projects/ndeavor/current/config/thin.yml start

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3000 ...

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3001 ...

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3002 ...

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3003 ...

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3004 ...

I've got Nginx running:

bitnami at linux:/opt/bitnami$ sudo ./ctlscript.sh start nginx
/opt/bitnami/nginx/scripts/ctl.sh : Nginx started

And after I start Nginx, then the thin.3000.log has:

    >> Thin web server (v1.5.0 codename Knife)
    >> Maximum connections set to 1024
    >> Listening on 127.0.0.1:3000, CTRL+C to stop

So, I believe that Nginx is connected to the 5 Thin app servers.

I have the nginx.conf listen on port 80

But, when I try to connect using a browser, I get this:

"The service is not available. Please try again later."

It's the same message I get if nginx is not running.

Is something in Ubuntu stopping http port 80 from reaching nginx?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,237379,237379#msg-237379