How to investigate upstream timed out issues?

michael.heuberger nginx-forum at
Fri Mar 15 03:37:59 UTC 2013

Hello guys

In my nginx version 1.3.14 I'm having lots of upstream timeouts like these
and wonder what's the correct, professional approach is, to solve these:

762#0: *113 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading
response header from upstream, client:, server:,
request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream:
"", host:

relevant nginx config:

  location / {
    proxy_cache one;
    try_files $uri @proxy;

  location @proxy {
    proxy_set_header X-NginX-Proxy true;
    proxy_set_header Host $http_host;

    proxy_next_upstream error timeout invalid_header http_500 http_502
http_503 http_504 http_404;

    proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
    proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";
    proxy_http_version 1.1;

what would you do in my case to examine this? imo the default timeout of 60
seconds is good and i do not want to increase it. it should be able to
deliver under 60 seconds, so i believe the problem is
something else. i just do not know how to investigate this.

any hints very welcome!