securing access to a folder - 404 error

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Mar 18 21:51:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 04:07:23PM -0400, mottwsc wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm trying to secure a directory on a CentOS 6.3 64 server running NGINX
> 1.2.7.  I think I've set this up correctly, but it keeps giving me a 404 Not
> Found error when I try to access a file in that folder in the browser using
> domainName/secure/hello2.html.

A 404 error from nginx for a local file should usually show something in
the error log. Is there anything there?

> I even moved the .htpasswd
> file into the /secure/ folder and changed the config file to reflect that
> change (just to see what would happen), but I still get the 404 Not Found
> error.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

I get 401 if I don't give the right credentials, and 403 if the passwd
file is missing or if the requested file is not readable. But the only
way I get 404 is if the file requested does not exist.

What "root" directive is effective in this location{}?

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org