Proxying based on protocol (e.g. "ws"/"wss")?

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Wed May 8 13:32:44 UTC 2013

I'm an nginx newbie, and need use use it as a front end for a website
that also handles websocket connections. I have the configuration set
up so that requests to a specific URI match a location section, which
then proxies the request to the websocket back end server, and it all
works. (Very cool.)

However, I was wondering if, rather than detecting requests to a
specific location, I could proxy all "ws://" or "wss:// requests,
independent of the URI being requested.

Is there a way to proxy all requests with a given protocol?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel T. Griscom             griscom at suitable.com
Suitable Systems              http://www.suitable.com/
1 Centre Street, Suite 204    (781) 665-0053
Wakefield, MA  01880-2400