[1.4.1] Finding docroot directory?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon May 13 11:18:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 06:56:11AM -0400, Shohreh wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm running Nginx 1.4.1 on an appliance running Debian 6, and can't find
> from which directory Nginx is serving files.

If "nginx -V" doesn't tell you, and the log files don't tell you, then
you can do something like

  location = /docroot-test {
    return 200 "docroot is $document_root\n";
  }

followed by

  curl -i http://localhost/docroot-test

You'll need to make sure that the new location{} is in the server{}
that will handle this request, of course, but it's hard to argue with
asking the server itself what directory it is looking in.

Any *other* location{} block might have a different "root" or "alias"
defined, but that should be clear from the config file.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org