Add [nginx] to subject lines on this mailing list?

Daniel Griscom griscom at
Thu May 16 13:26:24 UTC 2013

At 9:18 AM -0400 5/16/13, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
>On 05/16/13 08:10, Daniel Griscom wrote:
>>List-Id isn't shown in my inbox listing, so that doesn't help me when
>>I'm scanning my inbox. Even when I open the email I have to scan the
>>headers to figure out just what the specific email is about.
>>All (almost?) of my other mailing lists follow this convention, which
>>makes sense since every email from the "nginx" mailing list has to do
>>with nginx, but few people bother to put "nginx" in the subject lines of
>>their posts. Without this there's an assumed context for the message
>>that isn't clear from the message subject.
>I think what Maxim was alluding to is that any decent email client
>will sort messages for you based on headers if you set it do do so.
>This way you don't need to scan your entire inbox for messages from
>a particular list and the "assumed context" can be a somewhat safe

OK; I haven't seen an email client like that, but if that's most
people's experience then that's fine by me.

>Since you mention the conventions followed in other mailing lists,
>and you read this one, perhaps you should note that top posting is
>discouraged on this list, and messages are answered inline by the
>developers (as your original one was). Just a thought.

OK, will do.

>>So, personally I'd like to have it turned on, but if there's a reason to
>>keep it off then that's fine by me.
>>>  >
>>>Doesn't List-Id header suit your needs?
>>>Maxim Konovalov
>>>+7 (910) 4293178
>Jim Ohlstein
>nginx mailing list
>nginx at

Daniel T. Griscom             griscom at
Suitable Systems
1 Centre Street, Suite 204    (781) 665-0053
Wakefield, MA  01880-2400