proxy_pass not passing to dynamic $host

nehay2j nginx-forum at
Sat Nov 2 14:21:14 UTC 2013

Hi Francis,

I added rewrite command so that the url doesn't show IP passed to the nginx.
Curl gives a 302 because it doesnt have the sessionid with it. If there is a
session id that is passed to the application running on, it will take us to app. I can see in
application logs that jsessionid does not get there and hence it redirects
to the login page.

Curl from upstream gave me-
[ec2-user at clarity-test conf]$ curl -i -H http:/
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:13:05 GMT

[ec2-user at clarity-test conf]$ curl -i -d key=value
HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:11:53 GMT
Server: nginx/1.4.2
Connection: keep-alive

<center><h1>302 Found</h1></center>

If I remove the rewrite command and provides the html page in proxy_pass
i.e. proxy_pass http://$ec2instance:8080/test/test.html, it gets to the
test.html page of the application but does not load any .css .js files and
says open failed "/opt/nginx/html/test/test.html.