sidebar menu + directory listing

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Nov 13 22:09:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:56:28PM +0100, georg at riseup.net wrote:
> On 13-11-13 21:45:46, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> > On 13 November 2013 21:35, georg at riseup.net <georg at riseup.net> wrote:

Hi there,

> > Looks to me like you want to use frames and write yourself some pretty
> > basic HTML. I don't know of anything that's that application-a-like
> > that comes /inside/ nginx itself, however.
>
> Yeah, I tought so aswell. My question was more like "how do I combine
> html and directory listing at the same time..."?

Can you build a small directory tree, and manually create the files with
the content that you would like to have returned?

For directory listings, do a manual "ls" (or whatever) once to hard-code
the html.

That exercise might make clear to you what content you want nginx to
return in response to different requests -- particularly, which parts
are static and which parts are dynamic. And that in turn might help you
decide whether you want an nginx module, or the plain directory handler,
or something like an index.php that you can drop in each directory.

(I you use frames, you will be making more than one http request, so
nginx will be able to return more than one piece of content.)

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org