Nginx Fastcgi_cache performance - Disk cached VS tmpfs cached VS serving static file

ddutra nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Oct 3 19:00:51 UTC 2013

Maxim Dounin Wrote:

> The 15 requests per second for a static file looks utterly slow,
> and first of all you may want to find out what's a limiting factor
> in this case.  This will likely help to answer the question "why
> the difference".
>
> From what was previously reported here - communication with EC2
> via external ip address may be very slow, and using 127.0.0.1
> instead used to help.

Maxim,

Thanks for your help.

Alright, so you are saying my static html serving stats are bad, that means
the gap between serving static html from disk and serving cached version
(fastcgi_cache) from tmpfs is even bigger?

Anyways, I did the same siege on a very basic (few lines) .html static file.
Got better transaction rates.

siege -c 40 -b -t120s 'http://127.0.0.1/index.html'

Here are the results

Lifting the server siege...      done.

     Transactions:                   35768 hits
Availability:                  97.65 %
Elapsed time:                 119.57 secs
Data transferred:               5.42 MB
Response time:                  0.13 secs
Transaction rate:             299.14 trans/sec
Throughput:                     0.05 MB/sec
Concurrency:                   38.02
Successful transactions:       35768
Failed transactions:             859
Longest transaction:            1.41
Shortest transaction:           0.00

Obs: the small percentage of fails are because of "socket: 1464063744
address is unavailable.: Cannot assign requested address". I think it is a
problem on debian / siege config.

Same thing, using http://server-public-ip/index.html

Lifting the server siege...      done.

     Transactions:                   32651 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                 119.75 secs
Data transferred:               4.95 MB
Response time:                  0.07 secs
Transaction rate:             272.66 trans/sec
Throughput:                     0.04 MB/sec
Concurrency:                   19.97
Successful transactions:       32651
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:            0.56
Shortest transaction:           0.00

Note that this is a very basic html file, it just has a couple of lines.

Now the same thing with a more "complex" html which is a exact copy of
http://www.joaodedeus.com.br/quero-visitar/abadiania-go.

Using 127.0.0.1/test.html

Lifting the server siege...      done.

     Transactions:                    2182 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                 119.11 secs
Data transferred:              30.56 MB
Response time:                  1.08 secs
Transaction rate:              18.32 trans/sec
Throughput:                     0.26 MB/sec
Concurrency:                   19.87
Successful transactions:        2182
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:            2.68
Shortest transaction:           0.02

Using public ip

Lifting the server siege...      done.

     Transactions:                    1913 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                 119.80 secs
Data transferred:              26.79 MB
Response time:                  1.25 secs
Transaction rate:              15.97 trans/sec
Throughput:                     0.22 MB/sec
Concurrency:                   19.94
Successful transactions:        1913
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:            4.33
Shortest transaction:           0.19

Same slow transaction rate.

Please let me know what you think. Its my first nginx experience. So far it
is performing way better then my old setup, but I would like to get the most
out of it.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,243412,243414#msg-243414