Graceful backend shutdown

Aivaras La lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Oct 7 08:08:48 UTC 2013

Hi all!

 I'm using Nginx as a reverse proxy and loadbalancer with 2 backends.
Sometimes I need to turn off one of the apps server. And I need to do it
gracefully, that when I comment one server in Nginx config, Nginx master
process starts to send new requests to new server, but old requests and
sessions stay in old server. I tried to use down, but it loses sessions.
Then tried use kill -HUP, but Nginx immediately loads new config and
closes old sessions and redirects them to new server. Thanks for help.