How to tell Nginx not to decode URL for proxy_pass?

Ville Mattila ville.j.mattila at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 01:23:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

I need to pass a certain URI namespace to an upstream servers, while taking
away the prefix. Consider following configuration:

    location ^~ /going-to-upstream/ {
        access_log off;
        rewrite /upstream(/.*) $1 break;
        proxy_pass http://upstream;
    }

    location / {
        # Actual server
    }

So, whenever I will get a request to
http://server/going-to-upstream/something -> I should have a request in my
upstream server for "/something". And I do.

However, as soon as the upstream part has something urlencoded, for example
an url, nginx decodes the url and passes it in decoded format to the
upstream. An example:

http://server/going-to-upstream/something/http%3A%2F%2Fserver%2F
will cause an upstream request "/something/http://server/" while I would
need literally "/something/http%3A%2F%2Fserver%2F"

How could I make the nginx to not decode the URI in rewrite?

(My actual use case is related to using Thumbor, see
http://tech.yipit.com/2013/01/03/how-yipit-scales-thumbnailing-with-thumbor-and-cloudfront/.
They have a dedicated nginx server { } for this, but I need to use an
existing to make Thumbor urls to live under our main application domain.)

Best regards,
Ville