rewrite last using variable

Ingo Schmidt lists at der-ingo.de
Mon Oct 28 00:56:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

consider the following simplified nginx config snippet:

set $var "/url?par=val";
location = /a {
     rewrite ^ $var redirect;
}
location = /b {
     rewrite ^ $var last;
}
location = /url {
     proxy_pass http://some_backend;
}

For location a the redirect goes via the client and everything works
just fine.
For location b the redirect is internal and now the backend cannot
process the request anymore.

I found out that it in the 2nd case the backend sees a URL encoded form
of the contents of $var. So the question mark has become %3F and
naturally the backend can't find the request parameters.
I guess that the URL encoding also takes place in the first case, but
here the client decodes the URL and thus everything is ok again.

So here is my question:
Is it possible in nginx to make rewrites with variables where the
variable contains a URL with parameters like in the example? If yes,
what do I need to change? If no, what other options do I have?

Cheers, Ingo =;->