SSI working on Apache backend, but not on gunicorn backend

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Thu Oct 31 16:34:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:33:33AM -0400, j0nes2k wrote:

> Hello,
> I have nginx in front of an Apache server and a gunicorn server for
> different parts of my website. I am using the SSI module in nginx to display
> a snippet in every page. The websites include a snippet in this form:
> <!--# include virtual="/mysnippet.txt" -->
> For static pages served by nginx everything is working fine, the same goes
> for the Apache-generated pages - the SSI include is evaluated and the
> snippet is filled. However for requests to my gunicorn backend running a
> Python app in Django, the SSI include does not get evaluated.

> What is the cause for this behaviour? How can I get SSI includes working for
> my pages generated on gunicorn? How can I debug this further?

Possible reasons, in no particular order:

- Content-Type of responses returned by gunicorn isn't listed in
  ssi_types in your nginx config.

Further debugging can be done e.g. using a debug log, see

Maxim Dounin