SSL certificate chain

Daniel Lundqvist daniel at
Sun Sep 1 11:11:04 UTC 2013

I am trying to configure nginx 1.4.1 (using OpenSSL 1.0.1e) with a PEM encoded certificate file that contains the whole chain, 3 including Root CA. But I can not get it to work. I have followed documentation at and, but no matter what I do it seems I can not get nginx to deliver more than one certificate. I have used both and to verify. Other services (e.g. dovecot IMAP server) on the same host using same version of OpenSSL and same intermediate certificate and Root CA works works fine. How can I troubleshoot what is going wrong with nginx?

Thanks in advance.