ngx_slab_alloc() failed: no memory in cache keys zone "zone-xyz"

jakubp nginx-forum at
Wed Apr 2 23:41:13 UTC 2014

> What currently can be used for such a use case is "inactive="
> parameter of the proxy_cache_path directive (see
>  It ensures that items not
> recently requested are removed from the cache, including ones
> created with proxy_cache_min_uses.  Have you tried tuning it?

Hi Maxim

Thank you for your response.
Yes, that is what I do - try to keep balance between inactive time (which I
obviously want to keep as high as possible) and the keys zone size. But this
is constant/never-ending effort if the traffic pattern is changing (and it
unfortunately is for me...). It would be great if nginx used keys size as an
additional trigger to forced_expire resources - to auto-adjust the removal
aggression when the traffic profile changes.