Deprecated warnings in 1.5.8 are now errors in 1.5.12

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Apr 8 10:22:39 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:43:58AM +0200, Thijs Koerselman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile 1.5.12 on OSX. For some reason 1.5.12 generates
> errors in make where in 1.5.8 these same messages appeared as warnings and
> were ignored.
>
> I'm trying to build the nginx core without extra modules. Below is my
> configure output and the first errors that appear. Any idea how I can get
> around this?
>
> Thijs
>
> checking for OS
>
>  + Darwin 13.1.0 x86_64

[...]

>   + OpenSSL library is not used
>
>   + md5: using system crypto library

[...]

> *src/core/ngx_crypt.c:82:5: **error: **'MD5_Init' is deprecated: first
> deprecated in OS X 10.7 [-Werror,-Wdeprecated-declarations]*
>
>     ngx_md5_init(&md5);

Apple deprecated OpenSSL library they have in base system a while
ago (including MD5 interface), and in 10.9 they additionally
broke their own version handling framework we've used to silence
these deprecation warnings.

The warning should go away once you'll compile with non-system
OpenSSL.  Alternatively, trivial solution is to use:

./configure --with-cc-opt="-Wno-deprecated-declarations"

Previously these warnings was ignored as -Werror wasn't enabled by
default with clang (http://hg.nginx.org/nginx/rev/c86dd32573c0).

http://nginx.org/