SSL client Authentication

Shobhit Mishra nginx-forum at
Mon Aug 4 14:49:25 UTC 2014

Hi !!

I am using nginx as reverse proxy with HTTPS on both client side as well as
server side . My ssl configuration looks like below :-

              ssl_protocols        SSLv3 TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
              ssl_ciphers          ALL:!MD5:!ADH:!DH;
              ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
              keepalive_timeout    60;
              ssl_session_cache    shared:SSL:1m;
              ssl_session_timeout  10m;
       ### Mutual_Authentication parameters ###
             ssl_verify_client on ;
             ssl_verify_depth 1 ;
             ssl_client_certificate /usr/local/ipcs/cert/ca/NewCA_Cert.pem

The client certificate is a  self signed  certificate

Here when I send a HTTPS request to nginx .

My client receives a 400 bad request with the following error msg :

"client sent no required SSL certificate while reading client request

However I verified using wireshark that the client is sending the
certificate , same as the one given in ssl_client_certificate directive.

Could  anyone  please let me know if there is anything wrong in the
configuration or nginx doesn't accept non CA certificate.

Thanks and Regards