NGINX redirection issue

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Sun Aug 10 01:10:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 10:49:15PM -0400, manish-ezest wrote:

> Hello Maxim,
> The server_name(website) is a dummy name as I don't want to disclose the
> site name. I might have mistaken while editing the name. But I ensure you
> that the logs I have provided is correct. I am pasting my original

Editing configs and logs is usually very bad idea.  Instead, it's
much better to reproduce the problem in a sandbox which doesn't
contain information you don't want to share.

> configuration which is working like a charm. If I change anything from it
> like adding try_files as you suggested, or some rewrite rule for removing
> .html extension in location / {} directive, causes either 499(mostly) or
> "750 rewrite or internal redirection cycle" error. I am not able to figure
> out what actually causing the issue.

There is a number of ways to find it out, and most powerful one is
debugging log, see here:

>  proxy_pass;

Note well that try_files (and index) won't work if you don't
actually have files, but proxy everything to another server.

Maxim Dounin