aio breaks spdy

Richard Kearsley richard at
Fri Aug 15 22:37:15 UTC 2014

I have been tracing an issue for the past couple of days and have
narrowed down the case to when spdy is being used with aio
Testing using a 1GB file download in chrome and firefox, http and https
download as normal
using spdy, only the first ~250k is downloaded and then a wait of
exactly 60 seconds between subsequent bursts of ~250k
turning 'aio off;' fixes the problem and spdy can download at the normal

I hope someone can investigate this further
Configuration details are below, if any more information is needed
please let me know

Many thanks

FreeBSD 9.2

OpenSSL 1.0.1i 6 Aug 2014

nginx version: nginx/1.7.4 built by gcc 4.2.1 20070831 patched [FreeBSD]
TLS SNI support enabled configure arguments: --with-debug
--with-http_ssl_module --with-http_spdy_module --with-file-aio
also tried nginx/1.6.0

worker_processes  1;

events {
     worker_connections  1024;