nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "upload_pass" after dist-upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS

Valentin V. Bartenev vbart at
Fri Aug 22 07:05:53 UTC 2014

On Thursday 21 August 2014 21:02:43 Ben Johnson wrote:
> Hello!
> I performed a dist-upgrade, from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS, and once
> the dust had settled, nginx refused to start with:
> nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "upload_pass" in
> /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/
> The "upload_pass" directive appears to be part of the HttpUploadModule.
> This module was clearly installed before the dist-upgrade, because the
> vhost in question functioned as expected before applying the upgrade.
> It is not clear which Ubuntu package includes this module. I figured,
> "What the hell..." and installed nginx-extras, which is supposed to
> include all of the most commonly used modules, yet the problem persists.
> It seems unlikely that the name of this directive changed. What other
> explanations are there?

This 3rd-party module was removed from the package, because it's broken and
cannot be compiled with the newer versions of nginx.

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev