nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "upload_pass" after dist-upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Sat Dec 13 23:58:54 UTC 2014

On 8/22/2014 7:12 PM, Valentin V. Bartenev wrote:
> On Friday 22 August 2014 17:54:22 Ben Johnson wrote:
> [..]
>>
>> Thank you kindly, Valentin. That explains it!
>>
>> Well, that's a real disappointment. Is it no longer possible for nginx
>> to handle uploads in a similar manner? This was one of my favorite
>> features of nginx: the ability to offload large file uploads from PHP
>> onto nginx.
>>
> [..]
>
> Could you elaborate a bit what's the ability you're speaking about?
>
> By default, nginx is good enough in offloading large file uploads.
>
> For example:
>
>   location /upload {
>       fastcgi_pass backend;
>
>       fastcgi_pass_request_body off;
>       fastcgi_param UPLOADED_FILENAME $request_body_file;
>
>       client_body_in_file_only on;
>   }
>
> With the configuration above nginx only passes the name of the
> uploaded file.
>
> Reference:
> http://nginx.org/r/fastcgi_pass_request_body
> http://nginx.org/r/client_body_in_file_only
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#var_request_body_file
>
>   wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

Hello,

I apologize for the 4-month delay in responding. :)

In particular, I need to have the ability to track upload progress in a
manner that is conducive to displaying the percentage complete via
progress bar.

Is this still possible, absent the defunct module at
http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpUploadProgressModule ?

Thank you!

-Ben