nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "upload_pass" after dist-upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS

Ben Johnson ben at
Tue Dec 16 00:03:24 UTC 2014

On 12/13/2014 7:10 PM, Valentin V. Bartenev wrote:
> On Saturday 13 December 2014 18:58:54 Ben Johnson wrote:
> [..]
>> Hello,
>> I apologize for the 4-month delay in responding. :)
>> In particular, I need to have the ability to track upload progress in a
>> manner that is conducive to displaying the percentage complete via
>> progress bar.
>> Is this still possible, absent the defunct module at
>> ?
> You can easily implement it on the browser side using the progress events
> of XMLHttpRequest, which is supported by all modern browsers.
>   wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

Thank you for the continued assistance, Valentin.

With regard to implementing upload progress tracking on the client side,
two concerns come to mind:

1.) The inability to resume file uploads (is this possible with a
100%-client-side implementation?)

2.) Progress reporting accuracy, in the event that upload resumption is
even possible with a client-side-only implementation

I'm dealing with sizable files (in excess of 1GB), and I really need to
support upload resumption when an upload attempt fails for any reason.

It's not clear whether client-side upload progress tracking would be
able to display an accurate progress bar when, say, only 50% of the file
must be uploaded during a given attempt.

Currently, I am using Nginx upload module (v 2.2.0) with Nginx HTTP
Upload Progress module, which, in combination, do everything that I require.

I really wish that these modules could be made to work with the newest
versions of NGINX. I'm curious if we're talking a couple of small
"tweaks", or if these modules would need to be largely rewritten to work
with the latest versions of NGINX.

Thanks again for sharing your valuable insights.