SPDY for http?

Steve Wilson lists-nginx at swsystem.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 11:01:30 UTC 2014

On 18/12/2014 13:02, Lukas Tribus wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a nginx site configured with spdy on https.
>>
>> But after reading
>> https://developers.google.com/speed/articles/spdy-for-mobile I decided
>> to try spdy also for http.
>>
>> But strangely, after reloading the page on http, the browser keeps
>>
>> I'm using nginx 1.7.8.
>>
>> Is http spdy supported?
>
> There is no HTTP SPDY. Plaintext SPDY has a single use-case:
> when a frontent proxy handles SSL/TLS and negotiates (via NPN
> or ALPN) SPDY.
>
> You can not connect to plaintext SPDY via browsers of any kind.

Now I'm curious.

I have a setup that uses nginx to terminate SSL (listen 443 ssl spdy)
that proxies to varnish, which in turn proxies and routes to various
nginx servers with only a listen 80 directive.

If I'm understanding your statement correctly, if varnish and the
backend nginx supported plaintext spdy is it possible for a spdy
connection all the way? Then I guess the real question becomes is there
any advantage to this?

Steve.