nginx proxy_pass configuration to virtualhost

Tim Spencer | Spacesharing GmbH t.spencer at
Sat Dec 20 22:36:24 UTC 2014

I would like to redirect to an external URL which is hosted as a apache
virtual host.
nginx resolves the host of the url which obviously does little to
resolve to the correct web root on the server.

|  server {
             server_name localhost;
             location / {
                     proxy_set_header Host $host;

The question is how do I allow proxy_pass without nginx resolving the
ip-address of the host?

I have googled but obviously too many search result feature nginx
configuration for virtual hosts.

Any hints would be kindly appreciated.