gunzip on debian

Jeroen Ooms jeroenooms at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 19:59:48 UTC 2014

I would like to use the gunzip module to serve cached, gzipped
14.04 server. According to this post [1] the nginx-extras package
includes support for gunzip, but when I add the 'gunzip on;' directive
to my config I get an error that the directive is unknown.

Is the the gunzip module is available from another nginx deb package
on Debian/Ubuntu? My stack needs to work with the standard builds of
nginx that are included with Debian, so I can't build from source.

If not, what is the best alternative to deal with Vary:
Accept-Encoding in nginx? My back-end only uses two variations: either
'smart' value I can add to my proxy_cache_key so that it will
normalize all of the possible variations of 'Accept-Encoding'
containing 'gzip' ?

[1] http://www.dotdeb.org/2013/04/28/nginx-1-4-0/