sudden nginx hang -- restart fails, "98: Address already in use"

dwirth nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Feb 6 12:23:51 UTC 2014

Thanks. I am fairly certain (?) at this point that NFS is the culprit. I had
a lot of trouble unmounting one of my NFS directories. Eventually I resorted
to rebooting, at which point it went into a permanent hang until a reboot
was forced via hypervisor.

Is this particular situation, where NFS causes nginx to shut down, specific
to nginx? We just switched from apache to nginx at the start of the year. I
didn't have NFS problems before that. I don't know if that's coincidence or
not.

At any rate, my takeaway from this: nginx + NFS = bad.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,247223,247248#msg-247248