Proxy to upstream HTTPS server *with different* keys/certs in nginx

tbamise nginx-forum at
Mon Feb 10 00:24:19 UTC 2014

tbamise Wrote:

> > Connections to upstream servers don't use any client certificates.
> >
> Yes I agree. The connection to the upstream server uses the nginx
> server certificates specified by $ssl_certificate(_key).
> Basically I want to use:
> for downstream to client - a.cert & a.cert.key for connection to
> clients
> for upstream to upstream servers - b.cert & b.cert.key for connection
> to upstream servers.
> The https & server modules of Nginx only allow you to specify a single
> cert pair via $ssl_certificate(_key)

For a lack of better words, I'm looking to terminate the client ssl
connection at Nginx and establish a new ssl connection with the upstream
server without modifying the hypertext transport protocol.