upstream sent too big header while reading response header from upstream

rubenarslan nginx-forum at
Mon Feb 10 12:50:35 UTC 2014

after some further testing I discovered that I had the order in which
various nginx config files are called wrong. Because location {} isn't
merged, but overridden, my directives never 'took'.

Setting proxy_buffer_size 8k; kept the errors from occurring.

As I wrote on Github , it
still seems like the error message was misleading here, because the headers
sent were identical (except for the exact Content-Length) and the headers
received were pretty much the same as well. There are no cookies at all
involved here.

Thanks for the advice and nginx!