upstream sent too big header while reading response header from upstream

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at
Mon Feb 10 17:45:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at> wrote:
> it is likely the cause, as the config includes the following lines:
>     proxy_cache_methods POST;
>     proxy_cache_key "$request_method$request_uri$request_body";

Yikes I was not aware that the cache key gets stored into the buffers
as well. Is this mentioned in the manual anywhere?

So we need to set proxy_buffer_size to a value greater than the sum of
client_body_buffer_size + header size? Or alternatively, is there a
way that to use a fixed length hash of the request body in the