acess log over nfs hanging

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Feb 14 11:48:42 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 03:42:22PM -0200, Guilherme wrote:

> Anton,
>
> I already had the same issue logging to NFS, but I'm curious about why
> nginx hang in some nfs failures. Log phase is the last, if there is no post
> action, so why nginx stop responding in some NFS failures?

Because NFS failures by default result in infinite blocking of any
process trying to access NFS shares.  And nginx worker processes
will be blocked as well and won't be able to handle requests
anymore.

> Do you think
> that I can ease the situation tunning nfs client config, such as timeout
> and retrans ?

Some hints can be found here:

http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx/2014-February/042107.html

Using "soft" mount option and small timeouts may help a bit.  But
I wouldn't recommend using NFS if you want a service which is
expected to run independantly from your NFS server.

http://nginx.org/