Retrying proxy_pass on connection failure or similar

Kevin Burke kev at
Fri Feb 14 21:50:23 UTC 2014

I was wondering if proxy_pass has any ability to retry ECONNREFUSED, or a
connection timeout, or similar?

It looks like proxy_next_upstream is fairly close to what I want, though I
would rather not configure a second server; I just want the initial request
to be more robust.

Similarly the upstream directive is close to what I want; you can just add
the same server name multiple times to allow for multiple retries. However,
this gets more complicated if you are passing in a backend URI via a
variable (say, with X-Accel-Redirect).

Would be nice to have a `proxy_connection_retries` or similar.

Kevin Burke
phone: 925.271.7005 |