Nginx like Rewrite feature (.htaccess) doesn't seem to be working (Help)

Paulo Ferreira narobycaronte at
Sun Feb 16 11:58:00 UTC 2014

Good Morning.

I'm making a site and I want to make the link more usable so I used the
Apache's RewriteCond which is the one I more comfortable with. I know that
there are a site or two that lets me convert and so I used them, the thing
is that it doesn't seem to be working neither of them.

this is what I have
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %(REQUEST_FILENAME) !-d
RewriteCond %(REQUEST_FILENAME) !-f
RewriteCond %(REQUEST_FILENAME) !-i
RewriteRule ^(.+)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]

One gave me this (
# nginx configuration
location / {
      rewrite ^(.+)$ /index.php?url=$1 break;

and the other gave me this (
    set $rule_0 1$rule_0;
    set $rule_0 2$rule_0;
if (%(REQUEST_FILENAME) !~ "-i"){
    set $rule_0 3$rule_0;
if ($rule_0 = "321"){
    rewrite ^/(.+)$ /index.php?url=$1 last;

My configuration is as follows

My question is... Do I have to make an additional configuration to make it
work or do I have to install something extra to make it work?

I forgot I'm using Debian 7.3 (Wheezy) and my nginx version is still 1.2.1.
Don't know if it's important or not but my MySQL client is MariaDB version