Proxy pass location inheritance

Brian Hill hillb at yosemite.edu
Mon Feb 17 21:26:56 UTC 2014

So there is no precedence given to nested regex locations at all? What value does nesting provide then?

This seems like it should be a fairly simple thing to do. Image/CSS requests to some folders get handled one way, and image/CSS requests to all other folders get handled another way. This is an experimental pilot project for a datacenter conversion, and the use of regex to specify both the file types and folder names is mandatory. The project this pilot is for will eventually require more than 50 server blocks with hundreds of locations in each block if regex cannot be used. It would be an unmaintainable mess without regex.

Am I missing something here? Is NGINX the wrong solution for what I'm trying to accomplish? Is there another way to pull this off entirely within NGINX, or should I be using NGINX in conjunction with something like HAProxy to route those particular folders where they need to go (i.e., catch and proxy the .Net folder requests in HAProxy, and pass everything else along to NGINX?) I was hoping to avoid the use of HAProxy and handle everything directly within NGINX for the sake of simplicity, but it's sounding like that may not be an option.