How to combine try_files with multiple proxy destinations

Francis Daly francis at
Thu Jan 9 21:45:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 04:22:40AM -0500, rrrrcccc wrote:

Hi there,

(This is all untested, so handle with care.)

> I have the folllowing requirement:
> 1. if /usr/share/nginx/html/maintenance.html exists, then always show this
> file to browser.

That is probably best done with an "if" and a "return 503" -- there are a
few approaches you can take, with their own advantages and disadvantages.

> 2. if this is the static file which located in the sub-directories of
> /usr/share/nginx/html/, then show this static file to browser.
> 3. if the URI begins with /testapp1/, then proxy to;
> else proxy to

You could use "error_page" for 404 here, following

But I'll suggest using try_files with a named location as fallback.

Either way, you'll probably want one prefix and one named location,
per set of urls.

Something like:

  location ^~ / {
    try_files $uri $uri/ @proxyslash;