fastcgi_cache_path empty

Lorenzo Raffio multiformeingegno at
Mon Jan 13 22:12:49 UTC 2014

I wanted to try fastcgi_cache on my nginx 1.5.8 as shown here

In nginx conf, http section, I added:

fastcgi_cache_path /var/cache/nginx levels=1:2 keys_zone=microcache:10m
max_size=1000m inactive=60m;

In server section:
    set $cache_uri $request_uri;

    # POST requests and urls with a query string should always go to PHP
    if ($request_method = POST) {
        set $cache_uri 'null cache';
    if ($query_string != "") {
        set $cache_uri 'null cache';

    # Don't cache uris containing the following segments
    if ($request_uri ~*
        set $cache_uri 'null cache';

    # Don't use the cache for logged in users or recent commenters
    if ($http_cookie ~*
"comment_author|wordpress_[a-f0-9]+|wp-postpass|wordpress_logged_in") {
        set $cache_uri 'null cache';

    location ~ \.php$ {
        try_files $uri =404;
        fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
        include fastcgi.conf;
        fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;

        # Fastcgi cache
        set $skip_cache 1;
                if ($cache_uri != "null cache") {
                    add_header X-Cache-Debug "$cache_uri $cookie_nocache
$arg_nocache$arg_comment $http_pragma $http_authorization";
            set $skip_cache 0;
        fastcgi_cache_bypass $skip_cache;
            fastcgi_cache_valid any 8m;
                   fastcgi_cache_bypass $http_pragma;
                fastcgi_cache_use_stale updating error timeout
invalid_header http_500;

I chowned /var/cache/nginx to www-data user (and group) and chmodded it to
I restarted nginx but the folder is always empty. Is it normal? How can I
test if fastcgi_cache is working?

Thanks in advance