Errors using HttpUseridModule

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Thu Jan 16 21:37:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 09:41:25PM +0100, Gabriel Arrais wrote:

Hi there,

> We're receiving a lot of errors lately concerning the format of the
> userid cookie.

Is there any pattern to the errors that you can see?

Are they all coming from a particular browser version, for example?

> [error] 1581#0: *20523638 client sent invalid userid cookie
> "sid="Cvwk2lLYLvhh3gYtDscPAg=="; $Path="/"" while reading response

It looks to me like nginx does not expect the quotes after the =.

They are unnecessary, but I think that they are possibly allowed by
rfc 2109.

If they are allowed, then nginx should probably be changed to accept
them. If they are not, then the client should probably be changed not
to send them.

> [error] 1582#0: *17018740 client sent too short userid cookie
> "sid=Cvwkcept: */*", client: xx.xx.xx.xx, server: xxxxxxxxx, request:

It looks to me like something -- client, server, or just the display --
has gotten confused and mixed together the Cookie: header with probably
an Accept: header. I don't think there's much that can be done about
this, apart from try to identify the culprit and see if it is something
repeatable and fixable.

If it is an identifiable problem in nginx, then I'm sure there'll be
interest in fixing it.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org