Errors using HttpUseridModule

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Thu Jan 16 23:08:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:15:55PM +0100, Gabriel Arrais wrote:
> Francis Daly wrote in post #1133390:

Hi there,

> > Are they all coming from a particular browser version, for example?
>
> For now, I can't see any pattern and the error logs (how they are
> formatted now) does not help me, they don't pass the user-agent data.

Error logs usually don't include that information. Access logs frequently
do, and it is often possible to tie log lines together based on timestamp
and url. If you have the information, it may be a useful data point to
see whether the problems are associated with only one specific old version
of a browser, where newer versions of the same thing browser no problem,
for example.

> > If they are allowed, then nginx should probably be changed to accept
> > them. If they are not, then the client should probably be changed not
> > to send them.
>
> Yes, I think if that is the case, nginx could be more permissive...

Reading more closely, I still can't tell whether the surrounding quotes
are actively forbidden; but they are certainly advised against unless
the cookie was flagged as new, which I think nginx default ones are not.

I would tend to invite the client to become fixed, or invite the user
to change clients. But that's because it costs me nothing to do so.

> Anyway I will leave here another log entry with the same
> error but a different value in the cookie.
>
> 2014/01/15 23:46:50 [error] 1577#0: *18789665 client sent too short
> userid cookie "sid=", client: xx.xx.xx.xx, server: xxxxxxx, request:

There the cookie named "sid" has no value. I suspect more information
will be needed to know what is happening here -- was it somehow set
blank by something else running through nginx? Or is it an attempt by
the client to see what happens when they manually change things?

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org